If you move to the Netherlands from abroad for 4 months or longer, you must register with the Personal Records Database (BRP) within five days of arrival. This rule applies to everyone - both European and non-European citizens.

You can book a registration appointment directly with your local municipality, or with Expat Centre Leiden. ECL facilitates registrations for internationals living in the municipalities of Leiden, Leiderdorp, Oegstgeest, Voorschoten and Zoeterwoude.

If you do not yet have a permanent living address, then it may be possible to temporarily register at your employer's address.

Please note that ECL charges fees for services provided, but there are also benefits to booking an appointment with us:

  • Appointments are (usually) available within the next 5-7 days
  • Possibility to register at your employer's address if you have not found accommodation.
  • Welcome bag with information to help you make a smooth start in the region
  • 30 minutes with our helpdesk expert, who can answer any questions and make sure you have organised everything you need

During a registration appointment at Expat Centre Leiden, you will be registered with the municipality and will immediately receive a BSN. To register with Expat Centre Leiden, please make an appointment.  

Things to note

  • We cannot assist with biometric appointments or residence permit collection. The closest IND location with these services is in the Hague.
  • You can only register when you actually relocate, not on a preview trip.  
  • If you already have a BSN, please register at the municipality of your residence instead of Expat Centre Leiden; we are not authorized to do resettlement registrations (hervestiging).  
  • For an address change, please contact your local municipality. 
  • When the Netherlands is no longer your primary country of residence, you must inform your municipality. Check "Leaving the Netherlands" for details.

Staying 4 Months or Less  

If you are visiting the Netherlands from abroad to work or study, and you will be staying less than 4 months, you are not required to register. However, in the case that you have to deal with any Dutch government agencies such as the Tax Administration Authority (Belastingdienst), a BSN will still be required. This can be obtained by registering as a non-citizen in the Personal Records Database (Register Niet-Ingezetenen - RNI). Please view the RNI page for more information.