Registration and BSN

If you move to the Netherlands from abroad for 4 months or longer, you must register with the Personal Records Database (BRP) within five days of arrival. This rule applies to both European and non-European citizens. You will receive a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer - BSN) at the appointment. The ECL facilitates registrations for the municipalities of Leiden, Leiderdorp, Oegstgeest, Voorschoten and Zoeterwoude. Please note that ECL is charging fees for services provided.  

To register with the Municipality at the Expat Centre Leiden, please make an appointment. 

Make an appointment
A passport on a table.

Registration and BSN

Personal Records Database (BRP)

The Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen - BRP) is a government database which contains personal data of every resident in the Netherlands. Residents are required to notify the BRP of changes of address, births, marriages, deaths and other events that may affect their legal status or the government services which they are entitled to. The BRP is maintained by the Civil Registration Office. 

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

If you are coming to the Netherlands to work or to study, you will need a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer -BSN). The BSN is a unique personal number which you will receive when you register with the municipality at the Expat Centre Leiden. 

A BSN is required to arrange all your affairs with Dutch government agencies. It is also needed to start a job in the Netherlands, enroll in an educational programme, open a bank account, use the health care system, apply for benefits and pay taxes, to name a few examples. 

More in Official Procedures