Hiring an international employee
Hiring an international employee within your company in the Netherlands is possible through several different procedures with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). To find out which procedure and residence permit is most suitable for your situation, the IND website provides you with the most updated information.
Requirements and costs
All requirements related to the type of residence applicable can be found at the IND website, including the requirements for highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers. Keep in mind that you have to comply to the income requirement mentioned.
The costs for each application can also be found on the IND website. All costs have to be paid by direct debit.
Benefits to using the expat centre
There are many advantages for using the services of Expat Centre Leiden, including:
- One location: Two appointments: BRP registration and a 30-minute helpdesk consultation for your employees
- Most services free of charge
- Welcome bag with information for newly arrived expats, including the Expat Centre Leiden Expat Essentials Booklet
- Additional information on a wide range of topics, invitations for your employees to our events organized for expats
Types of expats
The following types of residence are handled at Expat Centre Leiden:
- Highly Skilled Migrant and/or family member
- Scientific Researcher and/or family member(s)
- Recent graduates/Orientation Year (zoekjaar)
- Privileged persons/Diplomats
- EU Citizens with an employment contract for a minimum of four months
Accompanying or following family members of highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers are also welcome to use the Expat Center Procedure. The application forms can be found on the IND website.
About Expat Centre Leiden
Expat Centre Leiden is a non-profit organisation funded by the government, educational institutions and local businesses. We offer government services, information and provide a network for internationals living or working in the Leiden region.
At Expat Centre Leiden, the procedures and the provision of information are placed together to help expats and their families to settle into their new living (and working) environment. Our helpdesk is available to answer all questions and, together with our trusted partners, we organise informative and social events & workshops, creating a new home-away-from-home.