Change of Address

If your residence changes within the region of Leiden or from another city in the Netherlands to the Leiden area, you are required to notify the local municipality.  

If you are moving within the same municipality, you will only need to inform the department of civil affairs (Afdeling Burgerzaken). 

If you are moving to a different municipality, you are not required to inform your old municipality. Once you register at your new municipality, they will inform your old one for you.

moving boxes in an apartment

How to register

You can register in person, by post or online.  

You must make an appointment when you register in person and bring the following documents with you: 

  • Your passport, identity card or residence permit. 
  • If you are renting a house, you must bring your rental contract.  
  • If you have purchased a house, you will need to bring the purchase contract. 
  • If you are moving in with another person, you will need to bring a copy of your resident permit as well as a declaration stating that he or she is giving you permission to live there

FAQ about change of address

More in Official Procedures