Every two years, EuroScience in Strasbourg awards the title of European City of Science to a new European city. The title is awarded as part of Europe's largest biennial multidisciplinary science conference: the EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF). In July 2022, Leiden hosted the 10th edition of ESOF. In September 2022, the EU Contest for Young Scientists (EUCYS) will also take place in Leiden, the city with the oldest university of The Netherlands.Have a look at the ESOF aftermovie!
During Leiden 2022 there will be a 365-day long programme for anyone with a curious mind. The year is being organized together with numerous national and international partners to connect science and society. Anyone can participate, from leading international scientists to curious kids — as well as artists, companies, students, community centres and museums.Activities
Carousel, use arrow keys to navigate.
Without friction, there is no shine. And without art, there is no science. During this ArtScienceWeek, we're going to go ahead and get grinding. It's a week in which we tackle the twilight zone between fact and free-thinking and in which art and science will emjoy adventurous cross-pollinations.
European Space WeekEuropean Space Week
If there’s one thing that guarantees endless fascination, it’s space. — especially when you find out that we’ve only managed to map 4% of the universe! The remaining 96% is a subject of continuous research, which is becoming more and more technically ingenious (and a little flabbergasting). However, it also demands an increasingly unprecedented amount of computing power. This is what the European Space Week from 25 September to 2 October 2022 will be all about!
Life Sciences & Health WeekLide Sciences & Health Week
More than 400 years have passed since the first medicinal plants were brought to the Hortus botanicus, and now, Leiden boasts its own Bio Science Park and Leiden University Medical Center. The Life Sciences & Health Week (28 May - 3 June) offers a European stage to discuss everything relating to health. Researchers and healthcare professionals will meet for scientific debate as the public learns more about the miraculous future of medicina and prevention.
ESOF 2022ESOF 2022
In 2022, Leiden will host the ESOF conference. The EuroScience Open Forum is the largest multidisciplinary scientific conference in Europe. The tenth edition will take place between July 13 and 16, 2022, in Leiden.
EU Contest for Young Scientists (EUCYS)EUCYS 2022
The year 2022 has been declared the European Year of Youth by the European Commission. That’s why it’s extra great that Leiden2022 has also succeeded in bringing the 33rd edition of the EU Contest for Young Scientists (EUCYS) to Leiden. In this way, we can boost the desire of younger generations to get involved in European City of Science 2022. The event will take place from 12 to 18 September.
Seeing Stars Leiden
Daan Roosegaarde and UNESCO are bringing the stars back to Leiden. Lights out, stars on!” Daan Roosegaarde, artist: “Everyone lives in their own bubble, disconnected from each other. I realized that every night an impressive light show can be seen in the sky, hidden. Seeing Stars brings the stars back to your street. The stars are only a light switch away from us.” Kathleen Ferrier, Chair Dutch UNESCO Committee: “Looking at the stars makes you feel connected to each other; after all, we are all part of the same cosmos. This is the common and universal legacy I strive for. Seeing Stars is an important step forward.”Discover Seeing Stars Leiden