Appointments & Registration

Registration and BSN

If you move to the Netherlands from abroad for 4 months or longer, you must register with the Personal Records Database (BRP) within five days of arrival. This rule applies to both European and non-European citizens. You will receive a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer - BSN) at the appointment. The ECL facilitates registrations for the municipalities of Leiden, Leiderdorp, Oegstgeest, Voorschoten and Zoeterwoude. During a registration appointment at Expat Centre Leiden, you will be registered with the municipality and will immediately receive a BSN.  Please note that ECL charges fees for services provided.   

To register with the Municipality at the Expat Centre Leiden, please make an appointment.  

Things to note: 

  • You can only register when you actually relocate, not on a preview trip.  

  • If you already possess a BSN, please register at the municipality of your residence instead of the Expat Centre Leiden; the Expat Centre is not authorized to do resettlement registrations (hervestiging).  

  • For an address change, please contact the local Town Hall.  

Staying 4 Months or Less  

If you are visiting the Netherlands from abroad to work or study, and you will be staying less than 4 months, you are not required to register. However, in the case that you have to deal with any Dutch government agencies such as the Tax Administration Authority (Belastingdienst), a BSN will still be required. This can be obtained by registering as a non-citizen in the Personal Records Database (Register Niet-Ingezetenen - RNI). Please view the RNI page for information on how and where to obtain a BSN in case you are staying 4 months or less.