Staying 4 Months or Longer

If you are staying in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months it is a requirement to register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen - BRP). During a registration appointment at the Expat Centre Leiden you will be registered with the municipality, and also immediately receive a Citizen Service Number (Bugerservicenummer - BSN).

  • You can only register when you actually relocate, not on a preview trip.
  • If you already possess a Citizen Service number (Burgerservicenummer - BSN), please register at the municipality of your residence instead of the Expat Centre Leiden; the Expat Centre isn’t authorized to do resettlement registrations (hervestiging).
  • For an address change, also please contact the local Town Hall.

Staying 4 Months or Less

If you are visiting the Netherlands from abroad to work or study, and you will be staying less than 4 months you are not required to register. However, in the case that you have to deal with any Dutch government agencies such as for example the Tax Administration Authority (Belastingdienst), a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer - BSN) will still be required. This can be obtained by registering as a non-citizen in the Personal Records Database (Register Niet-Ingezetenen - RNI). Please view the RNI page for information on how and where to obtain a BSN in case you are staying 4 months or less.