Whether or not you are required to be registered in the Personal Records database depends on your length of stay. You can make an appointment to be registered at the Expat Centre Leiden.

As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you do not need a residence permit to live in the Netherlands. The passport (or ID document) of the country in which you hold nationality allows you to stay in the Netherlands. You are not required to report to Immigration Services. Further information can be found here.

All EU/EEA or Swiss citizens (with the exception of Croatians) are entitled to work without restriction in all sectors and industries.

However, to stay in the Netherlands as an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you must;

  • Be a citizen from an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland.
  • Not be considered a risk to public order or national security.
  • Have a valid travel document (for example a passport).

Please note: If a family member who is not an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen intends to stay with you in the Netherlands, they do have to register with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst - IND). They will need a residence permit in order to live with you. Conditions for this residence permit apply.

On the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst - IND) website you can find more information about EU citizens and residency for Croatian citizens and Third Country Nationals. Link: https://ind.nl/en