Items marked with * are mandatory.



  • Register imported vehicles with the Dutch authorities. People registered as living in the Netherlands can not own/drive a ‘foreign' vehicle here. *


  • It is compulsory for children between the age of 5 and 16 to attend full-time education.


Social security, taxes and insurance

  • If you have an E101, ask your insurance company for an E106 (or E128 or EHIC) and arrange registration.
  • Set up vehicle insurance. *
  • Consider taking out additional insurances, particularly personal liability insurance (Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering – AVP) and travel insurance. AVP is NOT compulsory (although many Dutch people assume that it is and most have it). You will be covered for some healthcare when you travel outside of the Netherlands under your health insurance. However, you may also want to insure for additional health care and things like delays, loss of baggage and cancellation.
  • Ask your HR department to apply for the 30% ruling (if applicable).


  • View accommodation.
  • If agreed, sign contracts.
  • Organise utilities (water, gas, electricity, phone, internet, etc.).
  • Check which day(s) your bin(s) and other waste items/recyling are collected (or if there is a system of underground containers requiring an access card such as in central Leiden). Check with your Gemeente (municipality), or simply ask a neighbour or landlord. You can also check out our page Trash.
  • Arrange housing insurance.

       coming to

       settling in

          living in