At the beginning of every year, a form for the previous tax year becomes available on the Tax Administrations (Belastingdienst) website.

People who have migrated to the Netherlands during the previous year will receive a so-called M form. This form is not available online and will be sent to your home address. You can also order this form by calling the Belastingdienst on 08000543.

Non-resident taxpayers (individuals whose main place of residence is outside the Netherlands) are required to complete the so-called C form. This form is also available on the Belastingdienst website.

Besides the annual tax return forms, preliminary tax return forms for the current year are also available. Such forms enable you to claim tax refunds in an earlier stage. If you use these forms, you will not have to wait for the final settlement following your declaration at the end of the year to receive any refund you may be due.

Although it is the tax administration's goal to make tax matters as easy as possible for you, a basic understanding of the system is still necessary. Due to the fact that you have been recruited from abroad and your personal circumstances may differ from those of Dutch native inhabitants, it may be beneficial to seek assistance from a tax advisor who specialises in international tax issues.