The Expat Centre Leiden is looking for interns starting in January/February 2022. The vacancy for September 2021 has been filled.
Are you looking for an interesting, international internship in Leiden? Are you pro-active, independent, and an English speaker? This Internship at the Expat Centre Leiden gives you a chance to help build and develop our non-profit organization while expanding your own skills.
What is the Expat Centre Leiden?
The Expat Centre Leiden (ECL) is a subsidiary of Leiden & Partners. We work with businesses, knowledge institutes and five municipalities. The ECL is a public-private collaboration, for which it was nominated for an award by CLOK. We offer services to the increasing numbers of expats, their families, and the companies they work for in all phases of the expat’s journey: ‘Coming to, Settling in, Living in and Leaving to’. By helping internationals, we help the companies that hire them and thus the investment climate, economy and culture in the region.
Internationals and their families can contact the regional Expat Centre for government facilities such as a municipal registration, information about driver’s licenses and child support. The ECL has a help desk for providing free information and answering questions on all matters. Questions range in topics from international schools and the health care system, to the best bakery in town. We also offer a network for internationals to get in touch with each other through events and activities. Last but not least, we refer internationals to our trusted business partners who offer services for internationals such as financial advice, legal advice, housing, language courses and more.
What will you do?
We are a small team and our interns are integral to the ECL’s operations. As an intern, you will be given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, both independently and with the support of your colleagues. Your responsibilities will include researching, marketing, project management, and helping to develop and expand the ECL.
Tasks will vary throughout your internship and will include:
- Updating our social media channels with posts for our different target groups (expats, employers and our business partners)
- Researching information, events, articles and blogs that are interesting and relevant to expats
- Keeping in touch with the ECL partners and helping to build a strong professional partnership with them
- Website management: the CMS needs to be updated constantly with partner information, news and events.
- Creating and compiling the monthly Expat Newsletter and the bi-annual Corporate Newsletter (with input from our partners)
- Organising online and in-person events such as the Welcome to Leiden webinar and the monthly Meet & Mingle
You will not be expected to have prior experience in these tasks, and will be given training and support throughout your internship. If you a required to complete a research project for your studies, we can facilitate this (and have done so successfully in the past).
What do we need?
- Any education HBO level or above, combined with the right skills, will be considered. However, this internship is especially relevant to students of International Business and Management; International Studies; Commercial Economics; Facility Management; Marketing and Communication; European Studies.
- You are available for at least 32 hours a week.
- You are pro-active, flexible and results oriented.
- You are independent and organized.
- You have a hands-on mentality.
- You have an international mindset.
- Your English skills are of a native or near-native level (required)
- You have Dutch language skills (appreciated but not mandatory)
What’s in it for you?
You get to work in a non-profit company which is continuously expanding, where governmental services meet a business mindset. In this pioneer stage of the company not much is set in stone yet which will give you a lot of freedom, responsibility, and the opportunity to learn a range of new skills.
The ECL is part of Leiden & Partners and the office is located in the Handelshuis (above Tourist Information). This is a fun and informative environment where interns are highly valued. There will be one other intern in the ECL team alongside you, as well as several more working in the office. There is also the possibility to work (partly) from home.
This internship offers you an opportunity to improve your Dutch language skills and connect with Dutch employees working in the Handelshuis. It is an excellent chance to learn about and integrate into Dutch culture.
We offer a salary of €250 for 32 hours/4 days per week or €300 for 40 hours/5 days per week.
If you are interested, you can apply for an internship in 2 different time slots: February-July or September-January. The start and end date will be mutually agreed with the candidates. We’re looking for an internship of at least five months.
Please send your motivational letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.