Child benefit (Kinderbijslag) is government money for parents towards the expenses of raising a child. If you live in the Netherlands and care for a child or children under 18, you will get Dutch Child Benefit. This benefit, in fact a (conditional) parent’s right, is paid by SVB.

You can get child benefit for raising and caring for children of your own, adopted children, foster children, stepchildren, or other children you raise and care for as if they were your own children.The amount of your child benefit mainly depends on the age of your child (see for rules SVB). It is not subject to any income or asset criteria.

SVB’s instructions guide you step by step through the application. At first you click one of the five for SVB relevant situations. The two most common are:

A. Recently started living or working in the Netherlands

Soon after arrival it is wise to apply for Child Benefit for children born outside the Netherlands. You can submit your application on-line (using your digital entry key, DigiD).  With the a few exceptions, the instructions are in English. Mind the listed required documents. 

B. Living in the Netherlands and your child was born here

The municipality were your child has been registered reports to SVB. After SVB has send you a letter (ultimately 4 weeks after registration), you can digitally claim Child Benefit. If you wish, you can address SVB for receiving an English application form (in hard copy).

If you encounter problems the respective webpages show helpdesk telephone numbers (e.g. 088-9494090) . 

Should you, under whatever situation, need extra guidance applying for Child Benefit, do not hesitate to contact SVB by email or make an appointment at SVB’s office in Leiden and ask for an English speaking helpdesk worker.

Sociale Verzekeringsbank
Stationsplein 1
2312AJ Leiden
Telephone for Child Care: (071) 512 9820