Expat Centre Leiden offers municipal registration, issuing of the Citizen Service Number (BSN) and other services to highly skilled migrants, intra-corporate transferees, scientific researchers and doctors in training to become a specialist.

EU/EEA Citizens

Whether or not you are required to be registered in the Personal Records database depends on your length of stay. You can make an appointment to be registered via our website.   

As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you do not need a residence permit to live in the Netherlands. The passport (or ID document) of the country in which you hold nationality allows you to stay in the Netherlands. You are not required to report to Immigration Services. Further information can be found here.  

All EU/EEA or Swiss citizens are entitled to work without restriction in all sectors and industries.  

However, to stay in the Netherlands as an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you must be:   

  • A citizen from an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland.  
  • Not be considered a risk to public order or national security.  
  • Have a valid travel document (for example a passport).  


A passport on a table.

Please note: If a family member who is not an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen intends to stay with you in the Netherlands, they do have to register with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst - IND). They will need a residence permit in order to live with you. Conditions for this residence permit apply.  

On the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst - IND) website you can find more information about EU citizens and residency for Third Country Nationals. 

Non-EU Citizens

You will need a residence permit in order to stay in the Netherlands for a period of over 90 days. Your eligibility to work legally in the Netherlands is explained in the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst - IND) brochure Coming to work in the Netherlands.  

Requirements for residency permits per type and country of origin, and application forms can be found here.  

Age and salary requirements can also be found here.  


Filling out forms.

The EU Intra-Company Transferee directive was implemented in 2016. The objective of the ICT directive is to make it easier for multinational companies to transfer skilled workers from non-EU countries. The new ICT rules override other schemes such as the highly skilled migrant scheme. Any applications for highly skilled migrant status will be checked against the conditions of the ICT directive, and in the case of an overlap only an ICT permit will be granted.  

Visa and Permits

Newcomers to the Netherlands must comply with certain rules if they want to settle and work here. Some are required to take a civic integration exam. But newcomers also have work and immigration rights. The rules differ depending on whether the newcomers are from inside or outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, particularly regarding work and residence permits. The Dutch government takes a strict approach to unfair competition and illegal residence.  


Dutch nationals who travel abroad may need a visa. In the same way foreign nationals may need a visa to travel to the Netherlands. For a short stay in the Netherlands, you may need a Schengen visa or a transit visa. For a stay in the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (previously the Netherlands Antilles) you may need a Caribbean visa.  

Details of visa requirements for travel to the Netherlands can be found here.  

Employment Permits

Foreign nationals who want to work in the Netherlands must satisfy a number of requirements. Depending on their country of origin, they may need an employment permit to work here.  

Which rules you must comply with, and what rights you have, can be found here.  

More in Visa & Residence