Leiden Expat Center


EU or EEA member state nationals

As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you do not need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands if your stay is based on the EC Treaty. Your passport (or ID document) of the country, of which you hold the nationality, is evidence enough that you are permitted to stay in the Netherlands. You are not required to register with the IND.

Please note: If a family member who is not an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, intends to stay with you in the Netherlands, you do have to register with the IND. 

To stay in the Netherlands as an EU/EEA of Swiss citizen, you:

Stay longer than 4 months

Are you planning to stay for longer than 4 months in the Netherlands? You will need to register with the personal records database (BRP; Basis Registratie Personen) at your local municipality. 
You will then be issued a Citizen Service Number (Burger Service Nummer) .
For further information please check the website of the municipality where you live or the website of the Government of the Netherlands.

Stay less than 4 months

Are you planning to stay for less than 4 months in the Netherlands?
You are not required to register with your local municipality. However, if you would still like to be issued a Citizen Service Number, then you can register with one of the municipalities which has a desk for non-residents. For further information, go to www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/persoonsgegevens.  You can also call the government information service via 1400.

Right to work

All EU/EEA or Swiss citizens, with the exception of Croatians, are entitled to work without restriction in all sectors and industries.

On the IND website you will read more information about EU citizens, Residence for Croatian citizens and Third Country Nationals. 

(Source: IND)