Family activities at Duivenvoorde Castle Voorschoten
This year, families (with children up to the age of 12) are welcome at Duivenvoorde all year round! Besides the exhibition Seasons op Duivenvoorde (8 April until 29 October 2017), Duivenvoorde will offer an extensive Binnenstebuiten (Inside out) programme which is linked to the four seasons. Family discounts on entry tickets. The park is open year-round.
What can we see and do?
Would you like to explore the park and find out about nature budding in Spring? Then look out for the special quiz app which will be available from April. In the Summer, all parents will receive extra pampering during the Midzomerouderavond (Midsummer parent night). Or would you prefer to bask in the sun while enjoying a lemonade or a coffee in the historic walled garden? Come see the new visitors’ pavilion which will open its doors during the late Summer period. Imagine you and your family as real castle dwellers of yore during the Halloween event in October. In the Winter, a cosy Christmas market will take place where, together with your family, you can come and dig out a Christmas tree to take home.
Note in your agenda
- Weekend of 8 and 9 April: Opening weekend with launch of family quiz app for the park, guided tours for families and the opening of the Seasons op Duivenvoorde exhibition.
- Monday 5 June (Whitsun) Castle Day: Knights and princesses: welcome!
- Sunday 11 June: Music Theatre performance Le nozze di figaro for families, with actor Peter Lusse (TV and musicals) among others, castle visit not possible.
- Saturday night 24 June Midsummer Parent Night: because parents deserve a bit of pampering too… with camp fire, singalongs, relaxing in the grass with bare feet and a glass of wine or beer (children also welcome at this event).
- Summer Holiday Vakantiepas (Holiday Pass) activities in July/August for kids from the Leiden region: come to discover and experience loads of interesting things during the Summer holidays!
- Weekend of 9 and 10 September: Kinderen de baas van Duivenvoorde (Children are the boss at Duivenvoorde). During this Open Monument weekend, kids will be in charge of the castle and they will be able to tell you a lot about it. You’ll be sure to bump into them when you are wandering the chambers…
- Najaar Museum Jeugd Universiteit (Autumn Museum Youth University): In cooperation with Huygens’ Hofwijck: attend our lectures, parents forbidden!
- Sunday 29 October Halloween scary castle: get the creeps and heebie-jeebies at Duivenvoorde Castle, hollow out and decorate a pumpkin!
- Weekend of 16 and 17 December: Christmas Market with mulled wine, hot cocoa, Christmas stories and carols, family tours of the castle and digging out your own Christmas tree.
Location: Duivenvoorde Castle Voorschoten
Start date: April 8, 2017
End date: December 17, 2017